Monday, July 25, 2011

New Mama Q&A!


Question:
Hi there! I am due august 1st and want to start cloth diapering but i wondering how to get started. ie. how many will i need initially and do i commit to one brand to start or how do i try multiple? is it better to buy 20 diapers of all the same brand that i think i will like the best? what if i'm disappointed? or should i buy several different ones? will that be annoying in trying to figure out a system?
i want a less bulky bottom and whatever is the least work (as far as assembly i think) that is also not going to leak! :)
thanks in advance for answering all my questions!
-K

Answer! Thanks for sending this in - these are GREAT questions!  Most of them are ones I had when I started my cloth diaper search.
 
I think 20 to 24 diapers is a good start (you'll be changing about 10-12 diapers a day for newborns).  I had 22 to start, and that worked just fine.  We used the disposables until the umbilical cord fell off (so, one week). 

My Sweet Pickles (and other places like http://www.nickisdiapers.com/) have sampler packages if you'd like to try multiple types before picking.  This covers the disappointment concern.  Most places also have some sort of 10-14 day return program where you can send back the ones you don't like (even if you used them) for different ones.

I think picking one kind or using multiples is up to you.  We had to pick one kind so daycare wasn't confused.  If you're staying home or your care situation is more flexible, you have MANY more options.  My sister-in-law did prefolds for the newborn stange (first few weeks) and then transitioned to bum genius 4.0.  My boss and his wife are constantly using different kinds....if you really get into cloth diapering it's kind of addicting to try different types.  My husband gives me a hard time because I'm constantly wanting to try a new one.  :o) 

A less bulky bottom would have to be something that was sized (couldn't do a one size as those tend to be ginormous on the tiny baby bums).  Least amount of work would be an all-in-one (drying would take longer, but I've heard it's not horrible), and you can get these in the different sizes (you'd probably only need smalls and mediums).  All-in-ones have the absorbant "inserts" of the pocket diaper fame attached.  So, there's no stuffing or inserting or folding or etc.

Nicki's has a BUNCH of different brands of all-in-ones.  A decorating blog couple I follow is using bum genius all-in-ones and LOVES them.  They only got 12 and that's worked for them (here's the post).  I must be very lazy compared to them (they do two posts a day and I barely am doing that in the month of July, so obviously this is true), but I think that the frequency of washing with only 12 would be WAY too much for me.  Personally, I think the nice thing about going with a well known, national brand like Bum Genius is that the customer service is fantastic. 

One thing about sized diapers is sometimes the cost.  With Nicki's, you get a quantity discount.  And, you can enter the code PARENTING and get an extra 5% off on top of the quantity discount.  This tends to be the best deal out there.  One of my friends sells the smaller size on craigslist to get money for the next size.  This is another situation where the national brands are good too - they're more well known and so easier to sell.  Personally, I'm hoping we have more than one kid and being a saver, I'd want to keep the first size for the next kiddo.  Up to you though.  It's working for my friend (I think she's making money on the deal as she tends to buy her diapers used on craigstlist too - so that's another way to save). 

Good luck, K!  Let me know if you have any additional questions.  How about you - what questions did you have as you started your cloth diapering adventure?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love cloth diapering and hope I can help you love it too! Please keep comments clean and nice! Any inappropriate comments will be removed. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...